Jessica Rowell Photography

Jessica Rowell Photography
Jessica Rowell Photography

Friday, December 10, 2010

A Turning Point in the Jourdan Household

I have a lot of catching up to do. Since Thanksgiving it has not stopped. We have been doing lots of fun festive holiday things. The thing I want to blog about today is the conversation we had with Madi last night.
   So far in my life there are two conversations with my children that I want to delay as long as I can to preserve their childlike innocence. They are  explaining sexual intercourse and Santa's existence.  I know they are two extremely different conversations and one is obviously much more important and heavier than the other but the fact that the conversation is taking place only means my oldest baby is maturing.
Madi has asked us the past few years the normal question, "Is there really such thing as Santa?" Of course Kevin  and I have not wanted to deliberately lie to her asked, "Well, what do you think?" She says, "Yes, I believe." So with a sigh of relief we say, "Good!" 
Well, her questions have started coming a little more frequently this year and Kevin and I were hoping we could get through one more Christmas with her believing. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen! 
Last night she came down stairs after being in bed for quite a while and sat on the stairs. She looked puzzled and I could tell she had something on her mind. She said she couldn't sleep and that she kept thinking about Santa Claus and whether he was real or not. I looked and Kevin and we knew that we had to tell her the truth. Ahhh! I dreaded this day.   :(  She came down and sat in my lap next to Kevin on the couch and we talked. We asked her if she REALLY wanted to know and she said yes. She said she wanted to believe and she knows she should believe, it is just so hard. She has a few friends that have told her that Santa isn't real and she just can't stop thinking about the whole thing.  I wanted to cry. I hated for her to lose the joy and excitement of the "magic " of Christmas.  I had some strange butterflies in my tummy as I listened to her. Then Kevin told her that He was Santa and I told her that is why I believe in Santa. :)  Because I believe in her daddy. Suddenly, a moment of clarity came upon her face as she finally understood the song "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".  She has always asked me to turn off that song because it really bothered her that a mommy would do such a thing behind her husband's back. When it would come on she would say, "Where was the Daddy?" or  "Would you kiss Santa Mommy?" I would always say, "That's really strange!" Then quickly change the subject.
Kevin explained to her the importance of keeping it a secret and not spoiling it for her sisters or any of her friends. She understood and was excited to hear her daddy call her "our little elf". She had lots of questions about how it all went down and when we set out all the gifts and stuff. Then it hit her that mommy and daddy bought ALL the gifts and that's why Santa couldn't bring poor children gifts. That was always hard to explain in years past. Now she understands and wants to ask for less so that we can give more  to others that don't have much. She has such a sweet and giving heart. Maybe this new chapter in our life although sad at first to close the old one, will open up more opportunities to teach Madi and eventually Zoe and Mya about giving more to others and not getting so caught up in wanting so much when we are blessed with everything we need. Hope you all have a wonderful time sharing special moments with your family during this holiday season.


No comments:

Post a Comment